I'm not a writer... but if I were, this is what I'd write about.

Monday, December 15, 2008

Hostess, Cupcaking Since 1892

And she keep a bag full of goodies/Her love's baked up like Pillsbury cookies...
-The Dream "Playing in Her Hair"

Keep singing: It ain't about the Benz or the money/She's my bee I'm her honey/Man that's my homie!/And she got me playin in her hair.

This is one of my favorite songs on The Dream's CD. I love the super cute way he articulates his attraction to the girl. He describes exactly what I want: a man that's so enamored with me that he's, well... drawn to playing in my hair.

More importantly the song touches on the cutest (an arguably the most exciting) part of a new (semi) relationship (like ours). The cupcaking phase!

Gotta love it. I haven't been here in so long that I almost forgot how good it feels to really sit on the phone and "discover" things about, and flirt with, someone you're interested in. I feel 16 again.

Let me clarify though:

The Urban Dictionary defines cupcaking as "to talk to a guy/girl you are attracted to over the phone or via text message for an extended period of time" and "leaving a large group of friends to talk over the phone with the guy/girl you are interested in."

Which is correct, but for me cupcaking is a little more than that...

Clearly it hasn't been that long since I've "talked" to a dude. But a dude I might kinda slightly possibly be giddy about? A guy that I really feel that I can connect with? That's rare.

Here's how to know if you're cupcaking is up to par with my cupcaking standards:

Read the Recipe If you find yourself pointing out things that your cupcaking partner does that's cute or relating everything back to him all the time... you're definitely gone! Read between the lines, talking about them so much, means that they're really on your mind. Especially if you're telling people that don't know him. Example: Your homegirl says she likes Kanye West and you reply "Such and such loves Kanye West too" or another girl says something about needed to go to the shop to get her hair done and you reply "Such and such likes my hair when it's curly."

(Okay so I might be exaggerating a little bit and these aren't things that I actually said but you get the point.)

Set the Timer

While the box may say that it takes about 30 minutes to bake a cake be fore-warned that it takes 50 minutes to bake an entire cake... over the phone that is. Grown ups should not be sitting on the phone for over 50 minutes so if you're doing this, you're either agonizing over something with one of your BFF's or you're baking cakes... Text messages being sent back and forth for over 50 minutes are mini-cakes.

Let it Cool
You find yourself so anxious to talk to the other person that you actually need to remind yourself to "keep it cool." You always find yourself waiting a little while before hitting them up because you don't want to seem too overzealous. (Aww that's so cute)

Put the Icing On
Real cupcaking happens only when you get that "I'm 16 again" feeling and... check the smile on my face, it says it all.

No comments: