I'm not a writer... but if I were, this is what I'd write about.

Monday, December 29, 2008

Something to Think About...

Watch your thoughts,  for they become your words. Choose your words, for they become actions. Understand your actions,  for they become your habits. Study your habits,  for they become your character. Develop your character,  for it becomes your destiny. 

I recently got into an argument with a friend of a friend whom I seriously can not stand. This person has always been nasty and disrespectful to me and I just recently came to the point where I just couldn't take it anymore. 

I told her about herself and my frustrations with her failure to change her negative attitude towards me, and when her response turned more belligerent, I calmly (yet firmly) told her to discontinue communication with me. 

Now, a lot of people like to say that I'm really quick (and too quick) to write people off. I have one person whom I absolutely will not speak to under any circumstances and a host of people who's connection I've let die because I thought they were either a bad influence on me or simply brought too much negativity in my life. 

I know full all too well the dangers of burning your bridges and always keep that in consideration when I make decisions... 

I TRY to choose my friends wisely and be careful whom I call a friend.

Some may not agree with a lot of the decisions I've made. I've been called childish for telling people not to talk to me and I've been criticized for being too rough, like in my treatment of my ex-boyfriend, who remains a good guy in my eyes but has also been strongly discouraged from contacting me (I have my reasons).

Yet I read this message from a friend today about an hour after I sent out a message to the girl mentioned above, who simply wanted to inform me about an upcoming social gathering. I had told her that "I was serious about (her) not talking to me." 

A little, harsh but necessary I thought and although I stand by my decision, I wonder if I can afford to be a little nicer? 

I just thought that if you find cancer in your life, you'd want it cut out just like you would if you found it in your body. 

No comments: