I'm not a writer... but if I were, this is what I'd write about.

Thursday, January 22, 2009

44: Limited Edition, Unlimited Disrespect

Some things should just be off limits. Sadly everything is not. Introducing Hennessy's "44":


I know you can't read the fine print but it says "In honor of the 44th President... etc. etc." I really can't read whatever's past the first line either but that's all I needed to see to be satisfied that my suspicious mind wasn't deceiving me- Hennessy is trying to exploit Obama and black people nationwide (well at least in New York, Georgia, Illinois, Washington D.C., and Maryland where the Limited Edition bottles are being sold).

What the press release for the drink said:

"This collector-edition, individually numbered bottle will further cement Hennessy's roots in the urban community, with a percentage of proceeds being donated to the Thurgood Marshall College Fund to help America's next generation of leaders."

What the press release really meant:

"We recognize how much black people like Hennessy and how anything with Obama's name on it will sell like hotcakes so we decided to capitalize on our popularity in the African American community by creating this collector-edition, individually numbered bottle of cognac. We recognize that this is in poor taste so we're going to donate some of the proceeds to a black college fund so ya'll won't get too mad."

I feel so disrespected...

No comments: