I'm not a writer... but if I were, this is what I'd write about.

Thursday, January 29, 2009

Jazmine Sullivan: The Musical

I love Jazmine Sullivan's Grammy-nominated(!) music and I have to say that the best song on the entire C.D. is Lions, Tigers, and Bears! I'm so excited that this is her next single. When this song hits the streets I think it'll solidify her place in the music world. Here's the video for it:

Jazmine Sullivan - Lions, Tigers & Bears


That's 5 Grammy nods you're watching right there. She got nominated for Best New Artist, Best Contemporary R&B Album, Best Female R&B Vocal, Best Traditional R&B Vocal, and Best R&B Song for Bust Your Windows. She's gotten the most Grammy nods of any female nominated this year. Amazing! I can't wait to see her career sky rocket.

I think I listened to her CD about three times on the way back from Vegas last weekend and I think somewhere around Barstow I figured out what it was that I loved about it- it's whimsical theme. All the songs sound like scores from some urban musical.

I can see the girl meeting the guy and being all excited yet when they go on the double date Switch starts playing and all the patrons in the ice cream shop that they're in turn into dancers. Then later in the play, when said couple are in love but having a little drama, I can see her and her homegirls come on to the stage, dressed in all-black and leather snapping their fingers as they sing along to the beat about what they're about to do and as soon as the song end "Wham!" the glass shatters and the last line plays: "I bust the windows out your car..." the lights go dark, exit stage left. When she gets confronted by the guy about why she's trippin', I imagine them in some sort of romantic setting like a beach or no, a forest(!) as she dramatically sings Lions, Tigers, and Bears (oh my!).

Okay, clearly I have a hyperactive imagination but if I were a drama teacher at a high school/aspiring playwright I'd capitalize on this genius I'm spitting out here. I'm just saying...

Anyways, so I'm a Jazmyne fan as you can see and I was totally amped to hear that she was going on a 16-city tour with Ne-yo... only problem is, the LA stop on Feb. 7 at the Nokia Center is the night of my birthday party (sad face). Of course I looked at the schedule, praying for a San Diego show but I guess they just don't have time for that. The nearest shows are in Vegas on a Thursday and Oakland on a Friday.... neither of which I think I could make without a plane ticket. But I did hear that Jet Blue just started doing daily flights out of LAX... so that Feb. 20 show in New York might get a second look...

Honestly I don't need to be that thirsty over Jazmine... I'll just wait....

Here are the tour dates, courtesy of Pop Culture Fix, in case you wanna go.

1 comment:

Silent Scorpion said...

I'm not really feeling this music video. I understand the concept they were going for but I don't think they reached it. I do love me some Jazmine Sullivan so I know she will walk away with at least 2 of those Grammys.